What is event planning? Well, it is many things. Event planning is everything from brainstorming for ideas, to going to shopping for supplies, to creating a budget and run sheet, and actually executing the event. There are so many little details to planing events, but every detail is very important.
Lets say you went all out – you rented a huge arena, bought tons of food, and had awesome decorations and entertainment – but not very many people showed up. Reason? Poor marketing!
Marketing an event is one of the most important details of event planning.
I have had experience as an event marketer so I definitely know the tips and tricks to a successful event. Marketing is also way more than creating a flyer – it has multiple stages and processes.
So here are some tips for effective event marketing:
- Determine your audience – who do you want at the event? Where can these people be reached easiest to advertise?
- Create multiple forms of marketing – A catchy graphic, a Facebook page, Twitter, a blog, and Purple Cow! Also, If it is a large event, contact the newspaper and radio stations and ask to do an ad
- Purple Cow – Purple Cow Marketing is something that gets people’s attention. Something tangible or visually out of the box.
- Viral Marketing – place the graphic that was made everywhere – from the bathroom stalls, to windshield wipers – people have no choice but to notice!
- Follow Through – keep going back to the places you left flyers and replenish them, tweet about the event and post updates on the facebook page.
- Pictures – everyone loves pictures – so why not post pictures about the current process of the event? Ex: The event is a fashion show – post pictures weeks and days ahead of time of people selecting wardrobe, sneak peaks of the models, and the building of the runway – this will get people excited.
So find something that will really catch people’s attention – and make sure to follow through!